POLL ANALYSIS ON THE MOTE STRUGGLE

INTRODUCTION

As reported by several news media and as observed by those within close range, students of the university protested in the month of April against perceived injustice meted on one of their colleagues, Mr Tunji Micheal Ekpeti. This led the management of the school to close it down ordering students to proceed on a long vacation, eventually lasting about two months.

FactsCount conducted a poll immediately before the resumption date to measure the perception of the studentry about the entire saga and to feel their pulse with respect to both the then outgoing and incoming administrations. A total of 44 respondents were recorded, all of them being undergraduates of the university.

BELIEF IN THE MOTE STRUGGLE

 

When respondents were asked whether they believed in the protest against the SDC verdict against Mr. Tunji, 85.7% replied in the affirmative, 11.9% was indifferent while a meager 2.4% replied in the negative. This shows indubitably that majority of the students perceived the case to be one which unacceptable and unjustifiable. The reason for the indifference and disagreement of others might either be ideological or as a result of the manner in which the unions (NANS particularly) expressed their displeasure.

WASTE OF TIME?

Though a good measure (19.5%) of the respondents agreed with the ideals of the struggle, a greater percentage (68.3%) felt it did not amount to a waste of time. 19.5% of respondents thought it was a waste of time while 12.2% were indifferent. This is a pointer to the fact that not everyone who accepted that Mr. Tunji did not deserve the verdict felt the many weeks of curricular hiatus achieved anything at all.

UNION’S CONTROL OF THE STRUGGLE

It was also asked whether the OlatejuAliyu-led administration was in control of the student struggle, considering pressure from various angles and the coming in of the Oyo state chapter of the National Association of Nigerian Students. Only 26.8% said he was in full control. 53.7% thought otherwise and 19.5% of respondents were indifferent.

BELIEF IN PROTEST AS A TOOL AGAINST OPRESSION

Since the protest seemed in the end not to yield the desired result of students of the university and many similar occurrences have, in the past, been experienced; FactsCount sought to know if students still have any believe in this method. They were thrown the question whether protest is a good instrument for fighting against oppression, and a whopping 78% replied in the affirmative. Despite the regrets and strings of academic inactivity, many still opine that protesting is a good tool which may be wielded when situations demand. 17.1% responded that protests are not a good tool after all and 4.9% of respondents were indifferent.

 

PROPER COMMUNICATION ABOUT UNION’S STANCE AND ACTIVITIES

Answering positively to the question on proper communication from the union during the action, only about half (51.2%) of respondents thought they were carried along effectively. 39% disagreed with this while 9.8% were indifferent. This is so despite all the channels at the fingertips of the union leaders, from the social media to bulk SMS to other forms of media.

DID THE OLATEJU ALIYU-LED ADMINISTRATION DO ITS BEST

Respondents answered similarly too when they were asked if the previous administration tried its best with respect to the student struggle. 52.4% thought he did, 33.3% thought he could have done more and 14.3% were not sure i.e. were indifferent. This proves that even if the administration can show it did its best, it was not well communicated to those being led. Vital information about their efforts was not circulated for the appraisal of the preponderance.

PROPOSED MONDAY PROTEST

Since suggestions trickled in that students should again take to the street after a resumption date was fixed considering the school authority’s unwavering stance on the issue, FactsCount further sought to find out the popularity of this suggestion. Only 35.7% replied in the affirmative. 42.9% said "no", they would not, while 21.4% were indifferent. This dwindling of spirit mighthave been as a result of the lack (or reduction) of trust in the potency of protests, or in the sincerity of union leaders. It is also a reflection of the status quo ante which saw to the mass exodus of students after a curfew was declared by the school management.

 

THE NEW ADMINISTRATION AND MOTE

Though it seems too late coming at this point, majority of respondents (75%) would like that the Nifemi-led administration continue where the previous administration stopped by not forgetting about the MOTE case. 12.5% thought it already a bygone matter, never to be disinterred, and another 12.5% were indifferent.

PERFORMANCE OF OLATEJU ALIYU-LED ADMINISTRATION

When asked to rate the performance of the previous administration between 1 and 5, 5 being the most excellent; only 2.5% of respondents picked 5. However, 45% picked 4 (good), 37.5% picked 3 (average), 10% picked 2 (poor) and 5% picked 1 (very poor).

CONFIDENCE IN NIFEMI-LED ADMINISTRATION

At the time the poll was conducted, before the eventual swearing-in of the new executive, only22.5% of Uites expressed confidence in Mr. Nifemi’s cabinet to deliver on its campaign promises. 20% had no confidence whatsoever in the team. It is not clear whether this is just as a result of a general distrust for student politicians or due to certain attributes of the team itself. Majority of the respondents (57.5%) just preferred to stay on the fence of indifference to observe where the ball would end up heading.

 

STUDENT-FREIDNLINESS OF THE OLAYINKA-LED SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION

After observing the new chancellery for half of a calendar year, exactly 87.5% thought that the administration was not student friendly. But who can blame them since the Vice Chancellor himself had remarked (and later defended) that his top priority is not the students but the staff. 2.5% thought the administration was student friendly while 10% hanged in the district of doubt.

Comments

It is well.

The report is true. This seems to happen in every government parastatal. The reason(s) for such isnt justifiable. May God help us. Amen.